Residential Property Report Frequently Asked Questions

Who is responsible for getting the Residential Property Report (RPR)?
The property owner (seller) or their authorized agent must complete and submit the application with appropriate fee, set up inspection(s) and meet with the inspector at the property. 
Are foreclosed or bank owned properties exempt?
No, transfers to a mortgagee by a mortgagor in default are NOT exempt from the Residential Property Report (RPR) requirement.  As such, the subsequent sale of the property is subject to the RPR requirements.
What is the buyer’s role in the Residential Property Report (RPR)?
The buyer does not take an active part in the process. The buyer may not submit the application nor set up inspections or request information pertaining to the property.  The seller must provide the buyer a copy of the RPR release authorization and must also provide the City written proof that a copy of a valid RPR for such property has been provided to the buyer within ten business days of transfer of title or conveyance of ownership.
What does the inspection cover?
The inspection will concentrate on the exterior of the buildings.  The inspector will consider building permit history and zoning information for the property.  The inspector will ask to look inside the garage and any detached accessory buildings.  If the garage is attached to the house, the door between the house and the garage must meet code requirements (i.e. no openings in the fire wall and no direct connection to a bedroom).  The inspector may also ask to look inside the residence, if necessary, to verify that the building has not been modified to provide separate residential units not authorized by the original building permits.  Special attention will be paid to make sure that security bars have complying release devices where required.  Water heaters and exposed electrical outlets and wires must be to code with GFCI protection.  Swimming pools and spas must have appropriate safety signage, self-closing and self-latching gates, and meet other code requirements.
It should be noted that the inspection is limited in scope.  It is not intended to evaluate the condition of any particular building element.  For example, the inspection would not detect faulty plumbing or termite damage.  Buyers should exercise caution in purchasing property and it is highly recommended that a private inspector be hired to conduct a detailed report. 
Applicants should be present at the inspection so that the inspector has access to all portions of the property.  Additional fees may be charged for re-inspections that arise due to the applicant not being present.
How do I get an application for the Residential Property Report (RPR)?
Click here for application or visit city hall and obtain a copy from the Building and Safety Division.
Who do I call to schedule an inspection?
You may contact the Building and Safety Division staff at (310) 952-1766 between 7:00 AM – 6:00 PM, Monday – Thursday.  Inspection appointments are made by office staff.  Inspector’s office hours are between 7:00 AM – 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday.
Please note: You must call the building inspector during their office hours the day of your scheduled inspection to confirm your appointment and receive a time window, if available, or your inspection may be canceled and a fee will apply.  Any residential property report applicant who fails to appear for a scheduled inspection, or who cancels a scheduled inspection less than twenty-four (24) hours prior to commencement, shall pay an inspection cancellation fee in an amount established by City Council resolution.
What if violations are found?
Should code violations be found at the property, a correction list is provided to the applicant who should be present at the time of inspection.  It is the responsibility of the property owner to correct violations prior to transfer of title or conveyance of ownership.  If unpermitted construction has been found, one of the requirements will be that the property owner obtains the required permits and inspections to determine that the work complies with applicable codes. 
When noted violations have been corrected, the applicant is required to make arrangements for a reinspection.  Due to the nature of some code violations, additional corrections may be required upon reinspection.  When all conditions have been satisfied, the inspector will issue to the applicant a RPR - Residential Property Report(RPR) authorization release letter. Receipt of the authorization release letter completes the RPR process and will allow title to transfer. Please note: The applicant must provide the buyer with a copy of the RPR authorization release letter and the owner must submit the "proof of delivery/acknowledgment letter" to Building and Safety confirming that the RPR authorization release letter was provided to the buyer within ten business days of transfer of title or conveyance of ownership. 
What are the fees?
  • Single-Family Residential (up to two units) - $150.00
  • Each additional unit over two - $25.00 per unit
  • Condominium - $100.00
  • Vacant Land - $50.00
  • Extra Inspections (third & additional) - $100.00 each inspection
  • Inspection Cancellation (failure to cancel or no show) - $25.00
  • Late Application - $300.00
  • Property Remediation Agreement - $150.00
Do I need a City business license even though my office is not physically located within the City?
Yes. Section 6310 of the Carson Municipal Code (CMC) requires every person who conducts or purports to conduct, either directly or indirectly, any business, profession, trade or occupation, whether or not said person has a fixed place of business within the City, to pay a Business Tax.  You may contact the Business License Division directly at (310) 952-1748 for more information or click here to be connected to the webpage.
What is this Notice of Residential Property Report (RPR) Requirement that shows up on title?
On October 4, 2005, Carson City Council directed that a notice be recorded on the title of all residential properties required to obtain a Residential Property Report (RPR) authorization release letter prior to sale or transfer of residential property.  The purpose of the notice is to ensure that property owners and their representatives are fully aware of this requirement to obtain a RPR.  This and other forms of outreach were done to inform interested parties of the RPR requirement.  Title cannot clear until the RPR process is completed.
Division of Building and Safety
701 E. Carson St., Carson, CA 90745
(310) 952-1766


City Hall Contact

701 E Carson Street
Carson, CA 90745
(310) 830-7600, 7 AM - 6 PM
Monday - Thursday
24-hour automated: (310) 952-1700


Please Click Here to join our eNotify for City Council Agendas.