Transportation (Moving) Permits

  Transportation (Moving) Permits

Transportation Permits are needed to ensure oversized loads are routed properly through the City. Proper routing avoids accidents due to low underpasses, weight issues and other clearance issues. Oversized loads can also require pilot cars to ensure the public is aware of their presence.

Transporters must also choose their route using City approved truck routes when possible. Trucks must stay on approved truck routes as much as possible to the nearest point of entry to the destination, but you must make sure the route is appropriate based on the dimensions and weight of the load. The transporter is responsible for verifying all clearance prior to making the actual trip.

Transportation Permits authorize the movement of vehicles or vehicle combinations exceeding statutory limitations (as to size, weight, and loading of vehicles) as contained in Division 15 of the California Vehicle Code and Section 3261 of the Carson Municipal Code – Oversize Vehicles.

If you have questions regarding transportation permits or want to obtain a new oversized Vehicle Permit, please contact the County of Los Angeles Department of Public Works or visit their website to apply online and learn more.


County of Los Angeles
Public Works Department
900 S. Fremont Ave, 8th Floor
Alhambra, CA 91803
Phone: (626) 458-3126
Fax: (626) 979-5465 


Examples of Oversized and Overweight Multi-Jurisdictional Transportation Moves

340-ton "Rock Move" from Riverside to Los Angeles                         Vacuum Distillation Unit for a Local Refinery




City Hall Contact

701 E Carson Street
Carson, CA 90745
(310) 830-7600, 7 AM - 6 PM
Monday - Thursday
24-hour automated: (310) 952-1700


Please Click Here to join our eNotify for City Council Agendas.